Sub Plans for November 18th, 2011: MusicTech
4th and 5th Grade:
Scratch Project: SpiroCat!
Students create a Scratch Project that draws spiral designs
Students use variables in a Computer Science Project
Spiro Cat Scripts:
1. Pass Out provided directions
2. Direct students to sit at their assigned computers
3. Students start Scratch and save their work as: "Lastname SpiroCat"
4. Have students follow directions to create project. The Tech Club students can help as needed.
5. After 30 minutes, collect instructions. Instruct students to save an close work.
6. For the last 15 minutes, students may do the optional activities.
15 minutes doing "First in Math"
1. Students start Firefox
2. Click on the "Suntex First in Math" Shortcut
3. Log in to First In Math and do activities.
2nd and 3rd Grade:
1. Chimes of Dunkirk Dance (Music Located in Sub Plans Area on
10 or 11 (Smiley Face))
|Formation: Long ways set (Two parallel lines of
children facing each other.)
A Section (16 Beats):
All forward and back (8 Beats).
Right hand around partner (8 Beats).
B1 Section (16 Beats):
All clap hands three times with music (4 Beats.)
All stamp one foot three times with music (4 Beats.)
Two hand turn around partner (8 Beats.)
B2 Section (16 Beats):
Clapping (4) and stamping (4) as before.
First couple take two hands across and sashay to the bottom of the set.
Everyone else move up one place.
Playing Instruments with "Na Bahia Tem" (Click
here for music)
1. Have students echo sing and clap the following patterns: Click on
the pattern to play an example.
2. Divide students into 4 groups and pass out instruments:
- Group 1: Claves
- Group 2: Tubanos (Tall Drums)
- Group 3: Tambourines
- Group 4: Maracas
3. Practice one group at a time playing their pattern.
3. Computer Time: Compass Learning or TuxPaint or Typing Practice.
4. Play Music and have students play along.
5. Rotate students through all the instruments.
6. Put instruments away.
Do not let students "surf" the internet. Please monitor
their internet use very closely. 2nd and 3rd Graders should
not have to use the internet.
1st Grade and Kindergarten:
1. Chimes of Dunkirk Dance (Music on Computer 10 or 11)
2. Grizzly Bear Game (The students should know how to play this
game.) (Music on Computer 10 or 11)
Students sit in a circle.
Choose one student to curl up and pretend to sleep
in the center of the circle. (They are the "Bear")
Play the song - choose one student from the circle
to "tap" the "Bear" on the shoulder.
When the "tapper" sits back down - the "Bear" wakes
up at the end of the song and tries to figure out who tapped them.
3. Free Computer Time: Compass Learning or TuxPaint
|Friday, November 18th
|7:30 to 8:00
|Car Rider Duty in Front
|8:20 to 9:05
|9:10 to 9:55
|10:00 to 10:45
|10:50 to 11:35
|11:40 to 12:25
|12:25 to 1:20
|Lunch and Planning
|1:20 to 2:05
Instructions for Operating the
To Play Music:
1. Turn on the Big Black Amp - rocker switch is at the top.
2. Click on the "Sub Plans" Music Folder (Yellow Smiley Face) on
Computer 10 or 11. Click once to play the tracks.
a. Volume Control for Computer 10 is channel on on
the little mixer (on the desk between computer 10 and 11)
b. Volume Control for Computer 11 is channels 2 and
3. If computers fail, there is a CD in the "Sub In a Sack."
Borrow a CD player and use the CD.
Troubleshooting Procedures for
*These computers have a costume built Linux based OS designed by Mr.
Michaud for MusicTech. Ms. Wray will not be able to help you with
1. Students may use the following programs:
Firefox (K-5) (This program is like
Open Office (3-5) (Word, Spreadsheet, and
Scratch (4, 5)
2. In 4th and 5th Grade - some students have my laptop as an
assigned computer. It will not be in the room. These
students will need to share with another student.
3. Students have assigned computers in 1st - 5th grade. Do
not let any student use computer #10. If a student
does not know their assigned computer. Make them sit on the
carpet and assign them to an empty computer after everyone else has
DO NOT LET STUDENTS USE ALICE!!! They will ask, tell them
no. Mr. Michaud must be present for them to use Alice.
(Again, Alice tends to freeze up the computers)
4. If the screen looks like it is off, wiggle the mouse. The
computer is in sleep mode. DO NOT PRESS THE POWER BUTTONS.
5. To start a program - click once on the icon on the task-bar.
6. To close a program - click the "white x" in the upper right hand
corner of the window. (This is like Windows XP.)
7. To get to the internet
-> Click "Firefox" one time. (Kids should know how to do
this. Click once on the "Little White Mouse with the big blue
-> The internet is slow in Mr. Michaud's room - just be patient and
wait for the programs to load.
8. To get to Starfall:
-> Click "Firefox" one time
-> Click the "Learn to Read" shortcut below the Address Bar in the
-> -Or- type "www.starfall.com" in the Address Bar in the browser.
9. To get to K-Touch:
-> Click the K-Touch icon one time. (Located far right on the
10. To get to First In Math
-> Click "Firefox" one time
-> Click on the "Suntex First in Math" shortcut icon
11. To get to Compass Learning
-> Click "Firefox" one time
-> Click "Compass Learning" one time
-> Login with Student Number
-> Click "Continue" when prompted with "Security Warning."
12. DO NOT USE OR TURN ON THE LCD PROJECTOR. If have disabled it
while I am gone. It will not work until I return.
If things go wrong . . . .
1. DO NOT TURN OFF ANY COMPUTERS. If they are turned off, you
cannot get them back on without Mr. Michaud's passwords. If a
computer gets turned off accidently, it must stay off.
2. Computer 10 runs the room. Be especially careful with
#10. If it fails - none of the computers in the room will work.
3. If a computer freezes - right click on the task (IceWeasel, Open
Office, etc . . ) on the taskbar and select "close." This
should unfreeze the computer. If you get a message asking you to
"kill" the process - click "Yes."
4. 4th and 5th grade students should know how to save their work.
Tell them "NeboMusicWork -> Your Grade -> Your Teacher -> Your
Name" and they should understand. If not, just have them close
and not save their work.
5. If a computer freezes and does not want to work (This does happen,
especially to the older IBM type computers) - Turn the computer off by
holding down the power button. Turn the computer back on and have
Ms. Queen from 303 log in with the password. Have students share
computers if needed.
6. If computer #10 freezes (It has never crashed on me before.) - Turn
it off and turn it back on again. It will go the the Login screen
- leave it on the Login screen and do not try to log in. It will
still run the other computers in "Login" mode.
7. If a computer is running really slow - look at the task bar and see
if their are other programs running. Close or Kill all the other
programs and see if that speeds the computer back up. After each
class, make sure all the programs are closed (IceWeasel, Open Office,
8. If all else fails . . . watch the videos I have provided.
At the end of the day:
1. PLEASE TURN OFF THE AMP. The switch is located at the top.
2. DO NOT TURN OFF THE COMPUTERS. The monitors will go to sleep
on their own.
3. PLEASE, PLEASE make sure the door is closed and locked before you