Tech Lesson 04-3: Counting and
Graphing Jelly Beans: Using a Spreadsheet Program
Demonstrates understanding of basic technology and telecommunication
Operates Basic technology tools and applications
CSTA Level I Standard 4: (3rd to 5th) Use general purpose productivity
tools and peripherals to support personal productivity, remediate skill
deficits, and facilitate learning throughout the curriculum.
CSTA Level I Standard 5: (3rd to 5th) Use technology tools for
individual and collaborative writing, communication, and publishing
activities to create presentations, and publishing activities to create
presentations for audiences inside and outside the classroom.
M3D1. Students will create and interpret simple tables and graphs.
M3P1. Students will solve problems (using appropriate technology).
M3P3: Students will communicate mathematically
M3P5. Students will represent mathematics in multiple ways.
Students will use a Spreadsheet program to record data.
Students will identify column and row labeling system for spreadsheet
Students will use a Spreadsheet program to create a bar graph from the
Students will use Spreadsheet program to perform basic addition
functions and data analysis.
Students will identify use of Spreadsheet programs to list and
1. Teacher will distribute packs of Jelly Beans to students.
2. Students will count Jelly Beans by color and record the results in
their "Idea Book."
3. Students will use Open Office Spreadsheet or Microsoft Excel to key
in their data results. (Example)
4. Students will use the Sum function to calculate the total number of
5. Students will use the graph function to create a bar graph showing
the distribution of Jelly Beans by color
6. Students will sort Jelly Beans by number ascending and descending
7. Students will save their work in their file area.
Meets the Standard: Students will have a data field and chart inside a
Spreadsheet file. The Data will be in column format and the chart
will be a bar graph. This spreadsheet file will be saved in the
student's file area.