Nebo Elementary School
Department of Fine Arts
Fine Arts ASP Weekly Schedule
Nebo Music Curriculum Overview
Nebo Fine Arts Technology Curriculum Overview
Nebo Specials Schedule
Nebo Music Calendar
Nebo Fine Arts Home
Lesson Plan for 2nd and 3rd Grade:
Deedle Deedle Dumpling
Students will perform duple meter chant.
Students will perform rhythm patterns with body percussion and non-pitched percussion based on text of chant.
Students will use traditional rhythm notation to indicate patterns of chant using eighth, quarter, and half notes.
M3GM.2 – Performing on instruments, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of
M3GM.4 –Reading and notating music
a. Read rhythmic patterns including quarter note, quarter rest, paired eighth
notes, half notes, and whole notes using traditional symbols in 2/4 and 4/4
b. Notate rhythmic patterns including the use of quarter notes, quarter rest,
paired eighth notes, half notes, and whole notes in response to teacher
1. Teacher illustrates what it would be like to walk with only one boot.
2. Echo chant and learn by rote "Deedle Deedle Dumpling."
3. Students chant Deedle Deedle Dumpling Independently.
4. Students create movement patterns and body percussion for each 8 beat phrase of Deedle Deedle.
5. Optional Extension: Play rhythm for Deedle Deedle on Drums
6. Teacher plays quarter, eight, and half note beats on drum. Students walk with feet matching the beats.
7. Review on board Kodaly Syllables for eighth, quarter, and half.
8. Students go to website: http://www.nebomusic.net/deedle.html and figure out correct rhythm patterns for Deedle Deedle Dumpling.
Fine Arts Home