Team Project: Find the Lost Child!
Students will create a Mindstorms NXT program that uses repeated
sequence of commands.
Students will identify a repeated sequence of commands as an iteration.
Students will define, create, and reuse "My Block" functions in the
Mindstorms NXT program.
Students will identify an algorithm as a list of steps to solve a
problem or complete a task.
Students will write down a sequence of instructions to create an
Students will define and divide tasks across their team.
Students will create a mechanical robot to complete a task.
Materials: (2 to 4 students per
Computer access to the Mindstorms NXT software. (One per team)
One NXT Mindstorms Robotics Kit per team.
Course (Black Electrical Tape on smooth tile floor)
Fisher Price "Little People" Figures (1 per course)
Handouts for each student:
-Diagram of Course
-Diagram of Robot
Functions (My Blocks)
Team Project: "Find and Escort the Lost Child"
Problem: Lenox Square Mall is developing a new automated
system to help parents locate lost children. Using cameras and
preset maps, the child has been located and a course set.
You must design and program a robot to follow this set course to locate
and escort the child safely back to the "Lost and Found."
1. Teams have already built “Basic Tribot” and experimented with moving
forward, backward, and turning using the Mindstorms NXT programming
system. (Basic NXT Programming)
2. Students know how to create “My Blocks.”
3. Students know how to save programs on the local computer.
4. Students know how to download and run programs on the “Tribot.”
- Completion of Worksheets
- Performance Tasks: Building and Programming Robot to complete
- Use of Rubric to evaluate
- The Mission: Find the Lost Child!
Lenox Square Mall is developing a new automated system to help parents
locate lost children. Using cameras and preset maps, the child
has been located and a course set. You must design and
program a robot to follow this set course to locate and escort the
child safely back to the "Lost and Found."
1. Starting at “Lost and Found.” Your robot must move through the maze
and reach the “child.”
2. Robot must escort (move the child) back through the maze to the
“Lost and Found” area.
3. Robot must not lose or “mishandle” the child.
4. Robot must stay on the course.
Your team must complete the following:
- Design and build attachments to the Mindstorms “Tribot” Robot to
safely “escort” your child back to “Lost and Found.”
- Define following functions in the “Functions
- How many rotations of B and C motors make the robot move 1 foot.
- How many rotations of either B or C motors will make the robot
- Rotate the Robot 180 Degrees
- Create a method of “Escorting the Child.”
- Complete the “Algorithms Worksheet.”
- Write a Mindstorms NXT program for your robot to complete the
- Program must use at least 2 “My Block” functions (Hint, reuse the
distance and angle parts of your solution.)
- (Another Hint – your program should follow your “Algorithm
- Download and Run you program on your robot to complete your
Diagram of Course:
Layout Course with Black Electrical Tape on Smooth Surface.
(Floor or Robotics Table)
Dotted Line indicates Distance within Course. Do not layout with