Tech Lesson 16-3: Using OpenOffice
Text and Graphics
Demonstrates understanding of basic technology and telecommunication
Operates Basic technology tools and applications
M5P3: Students will communicate mathematically
M5P5: Students will represent mathematics in multiple ways.
M4P3: Students will communicate mathematically
M4P5: Students will represent mathematics in multiple ways.
M3P3: Students will communicate mathematically
M3P5: Students will represent mathematics in multiple ways.
Students will type in and manipulate text in a text editor.
Students will use spaces, line breaks, and paragraph breaks in the
Spaces: Between Words
Paragraph Breaks: at the ends of paragraphs
Students will Use capitalization and punctuation properly in sentences.
Students will select and insert graphics from the to support their
Project: Write one paragraph
using Open Office Text about what animal the student would wish to
be. Create a picture using TuxPaint and insert picture using
screen capture program.
Process: (Open Office,
TuxPaint, and KSnapshot)
1. Read book Alexander and the Wind
Up Mouse by Leo Lionni.
2. Brainstorm about what type type of animal they could wish to change
3. Start Open Office.
4. Select File->New->Text Document.
5. Type a paragraph about wishing to be your favorite animal.
6. Save the paragraph in your File Area.
7. Start TuxPaint.
8. Create a picture of your favorite animal.
9. Take Screenshot of Picture:
a. Press "Print Screen" button. (Starts
b. Click "Region"
c. Mouse will change to a "plus" sign.
d. Click and drag to select your picture.
e. Click "Copy to Clipboard."
10. Go to the Text document.
11. Select "Edit->Paste" to put your picture into your text document.